Saturday, March 26, 2011

A wonderful conversation

A few days I was getting breakfast at a local coffee shop when I struck up a conversation with a person who I see every time I come into the shop. He immediately noticed that I was pregnant and of course I explained right from the get go what I was doing. It turns out that he and wife went through 10 years of trying to conceive (TTC). Although they never get pregnant they were fortunate enough to adopt their daughter, who is now 18.  He said that Surrogacy wasn't as common as it is now and it's amazing the things they can do now. 
After a few more minutes I realized that we had been talking for a 30 minutes and I needed to go. So I started to get up and he said one more thing to me that will forever be stuck in my head.  With tears in his eyes he told me about the moment that he first held his daughter. He said that it was "an amazing feeling looking into her eyes for the first time, holding her tiny hands" He said all the years of struggling made it all worth it for this moment. "you are doing a wonderful thing". Of course if I see a grown man cry over his child , I cry.  So there we were , the two of us crying in a coffee shop. But what he had said resonated with me. I told him "what you just told me....that's what I am doing this. I want to give someone that kind of gift. I look forward to seeing the faces of the parents when they hold their daughter for the first time"  For me, that will make the past 2 years (how long this particular surrogacy process) worthwhile. 

1 comment:

  1. And now I'm crying. I have so much respect for you and am just amazed that you would do this for complete strangers, you are what makes the world good. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete